The Interior Ministry on Thursday placed the names of 253 people – including Interior Minister Rehman Malik and NRO beneficiaries affected by the SC verdict – on the Exit Control List (ECL) following a request by the National Accountability Bureau, according to sources.
The names of others put on ECL also include Defence Minister Ahmed Mukhtar, the MQM’s Farooq Sattar and Babar Ghauri, Jahangir Badar and Salman Farooqi.
The NAB sources told Daily Times that the NAB chairman asked the Interior Ministry in a letter, dispatched on Thursday, to place the names of NRO beneficiaries – apart from President Asif Ali Zardari and Sindh Governor Ishratul Ebad, both of whom enjoy constitutional immunity – on ECL.
“According to a NAB list ... corruption cases against 248 people had been withdrawn under the NRO ... after the exclusion of the names of the president and the Sindh governor, the tally goes down to 246. But NAB also asked for the names of seven others not on the NRO list to be placed on ECL,” said the sources.
NAB also dispatched letters to its provincial offices and the FIA – which reads, “In compliance with the SC judgement in the NRO case on December 16 ... immediately initiate all requisite actions for the revival of the subject cases to the position [before the promulgation of the ordinance],” reads the NAB letter.